New Interview with JK Rowling's First Editor Barry Cunningham

Books
December 03, 2008, 11:21 PM

A second handwritten copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard was unveiled today in Edinburgh, Scotland, this belonging to J.K. Rowling's first editor Barry Cunningham. This copy will be on display at the National Library of Scotland, site of a launch day tea party event being held tomorrow. At the event, Jo will be reading from Beedle and answering questions. You can see a new photo of Mr. Cunningham with his copy of Beedle the Bard via this link.

Reuters also has a new interview with Barry Cunningham where he reflects back on first learning of Jo, and reading the first installment in the Harry Potter series.

"When I first got the book I didn't know everyone else in the universe had turned it down, so I read it as a book and I loved it," Cunningham told Reuters in Edinburgh on Wednesday.

"What I really loved about it was the friendship of the children, the support they gave to each other and the fact that they were able to overcome so many difficulties ... the adult world was against them and they got together to overcome that."

... Cunningham added that he believed there was more to come from Rowling, despite the completion of the Harry Potter tales.

"I don't really know ... I can't imagine that such a lifelong writer could stop writing."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Phillip

OMG I can’t not wait a minute more…even though I have to wait for an hour and a half…STILL!!! :D

Posted by Phillip on December 03, 2008, 11:27 PM report to moderator
Arka

Haha it’s so ominous “copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard was unveiled today.” Well, I’m sure Jo will write more, and it would be interesting to see her writing about something not Harry Potter, or magical at all. I won’t be getting Beedle till at least tomorrow, depending on what Amazon calls “release day”

Posted by Arka on December 03, 2008, 11:33 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

My copy is on the way from Amazon and expected for delivery December 4. I bought the deluxe edition with money I got for my birthday in October. It’s the most I’ve ever paid for a book but it’s worth it for the charity involved.

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on December 03, 2008, 11:43 PM report to moderator
Char

What lovely tales!

Oh how I wish I possessed even half of Jo Rowling’s exceptional imagination!

Posted by Char on December 04, 2008, 01:03 AM report to moderator
Eeyore

It feels really strange that a new book from Rowling is coming out and there is no midnight release anywhere near me. I looked. But I reserved 3 copies whenever it was first announced and I’ll pick them up at B&N in the morning. One is for me and the other two are Christmas gifts. Alas, the standard versions, but I’m looking forward to reading it all the same.

Posted by Eeyore on December 04, 2008, 05:16 AM report to moderator
Nick

Thank God for Barry Cunningham!! I wonder what number his copy is. Seeing that title page on Arthur Levine’s made me a bit curious… It’d be interesting to see the list of recipients and their copy number. Everyone’s coming out of the woodwork lately; I feel like they’re some elite group of superhumans or something. Then again, I think they actually are. :)

Posted by Nick on December 04, 2008, 08:17 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Hermione was not alone; she was sitting with the unlikeliest pair of drinking mates he could ever have imagined: Luna Lovegood and none other than Rita Skeeter, ex-journalist on the [i]Daily Prophet[/i] and one of Hermione's least favorite people in the w