Alan Rickman to Film Deathly Hallows Scenes in Late 2009

Rickman
December 05, 2008, 08:02 AM

Actor Alan Rickman has given a new interview to SCI-FI Wire where he discusses his filming schedule in his role as Severus Snape for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In the interview he says he will be filming late in 2009, mentioning working with Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort) for those pivotal and dramatic scenes at the end of Deathly Hallows. Mr. Rickman said: "Well, because they have to get me and Ralph Fiennes together, it means I don't start shooting it until the end of next year, which means I get room now in this coming year," he said. "So it's going to be long. I was talking to Helena [Bonham Carter] yesterday. I think she starts in June, and she goes on for a long time."

Alan Rickman also spoke briefly about the decision to split the filming of the book into two films, noting "Well, it'll be a big finish, won't it?" Rickman said. "That's true, and appropriately. You can feel it now, the size of the undertaking. Watching Daniel [Radcliffe], I saw a trailer for him being on Inside the Actor's Studio, and you think, 'Wait a minute, he's 12! Oh. Perhaps he isn't."

Thanks Wendy and Martha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Mimblewimble

Rickman is a great actor. He’s appearing in so many other movies at the same time as these HP ones, and in all the other movies he’s so different from Snape, you can’t even tell it’s the same actor. That’s the sign of a great actor, that they can appear iconically in a wide range of roles and seem so totally different every time.

Posted by Mimblewimble on December 05, 2008, 01:03 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

There are two scenes in DH that I think are absolutely spine-chilling. The first is the murder of Charity Burbage in the very first chapter. That chapter, like all of JKR’s first chapters, is so incredibly well-written. I could visualize Burbage spinning over the table and pleading for her life before Voldemort murders her. The second is Snapes’ suffocation by Nagini. It was terrifying to read. DH is such a GREAT book! I’m really excited about this film and I can’t wait to see these scenes!!!!!

Posted by KB Prez on December 05, 2008, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Erik

Siena, you are soooo wrong. If you would see Equus you would know Daniel has the talent to steal scenes from Alan, Ralph or any other actor. He acts opposite a Tony award winner in Equus, Richard Griffiths, and in Broadway Daniel is completely stealing the show. The only problem I see is the HP movie makers haven’t used all that potencial Daniel has yet. Kloves don’t like Harry as much as he like other characters like Hermione and Draco, so he doesn’t gave Harry good lines or scenes. It’s easy to notice Harry is part of most scenes but he is actually the one who has less lines.
It’s funny what you said, because the young actors you say are more talented are the ones who actually have proved less.

Posted by Erik on December 05, 2008, 04:13 PM report to moderator
MichaelB

In fact, I think Radcliffe is the only one who has proved he an act with all these experienced actors. Theater acting is the most difficult thing and actor can do and Daniel is acting in Broadway every day! Earning all positive reviews from the critics and the audience! They are even talking about a Tony.
That’s how all these great actors: Rickman, Fiennes…. started, and that’s what Radcliffe is doing now.
The other kids are a joke compared with all these big actors names.

Posted by MichaelB on December 05, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Siena

@Jain: It is based on that I think Evanna Lynch and Tom Felton are the best young performers in the HP films, it is not meant as a comparision to Rickman’s and Fiennes’s incredible works – how could I dare to do that?
@Erik: I must admit that you are right; I have not seen Radcliffe in Equus. He is obviously doing a really amazing theatre performance there ! But I was referring to his work in HP and I think his performance lacks depth in the films – but again, this is just my personal view.

Posted by Siena on December 06, 2008, 07:16 AM report to moderator
Amber Madison

Aaaaahhhhhhh I LOVE ALAN RICKMAN!!!!! SNAPE RULES!!!!!!
Cant WAIT TILL MOVIE COMES OUT!!!!! LOL!

Posted by Amber Madison on December 06, 2008, 05:33 PM report to moderator
hyper_neko

@Debbie -

Scenes for a movie are almost always filmed by location (and I guess in this case, actor availability), and not in chronological order of the story.

So for example, they will probably film most of the Burrow scenes at the same time since they are at ‘that’ location.

So yeah…just cause they’re doing Helena’s stuff first doesn’t mean she’s getting more screen time…it just may be that a lot of her scenes coincide with the locations they are filming at at that particular time.

That said, I can’t wait for Rickman’s scenes! So exciting! :D

Posted by hyper_neko on December 06, 2008, 07:22 PM report to moderator
G.K.

That still from HBP looks MAGNIFICENT. Especially HBC’s Bella, wow. I can’t wait til summer.
And I haven’t even read HBP yet but isn’t N. Malfoy supposed to be tall, blonde, and stately? The Malfoys have a reputation for sexiness to maintain, you know!
/ kidding

Posted by G.K. on December 08, 2008, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Melissa

I love Rickman’s last quote here. I first fell in love with him in Beckett’s plays. He continues to bring unexpected depth to an already deep character. At the same time, I feel like he is holding back. Something makes me think this in the direction of the work and that we’ll really get to see some fabulous acting in the last two movies. (Well, three, really.) I can’t wait. Oh. Perhaps I’ll have to.

Posted by Melissa on December 09, 2008, 12:21 AM report to moderator
watertay

I fancy Alan’s voice,deep and sort of insight,which is always really sexy.Saw him played in the film ‘True Love’ &‘The perfum’, so nice a man

Posted by watertay on December 09, 2008, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

I love Alan Rickman. I can’t wait to see him in the 7th. I hope they include the first scene in the book at Malfoy Manor with Snape and Voldemort as well as the scene in the Shrieking Shack. Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes are the best actors…I can’t wait to see them in the same shot!

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 13, 2009, 11:51 AM report to moderator

...Lockhart's disgusting cheeriness, his hints that he had always thought Hagrid was no good, his confidence that the whole business was now at an end, irritated Harry so much that he yearned to throw [i]Gadding with Ghouls[/i] right in Lockhart's stupid