Copyright Lawsuit Against J. K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Dismissed by Judge

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
January 06, 2011, 10:10 PM

A lawsuit against Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling and the book's UK publisher, Bloomsbury, by the estate of the late Adrian Jacobs has been dismissed by the judge, a statement from US Potter publisher Scholastic reveals.  The statement reads:
Scholastic is extremely pleased that Judge Scheindlin decided to dismiss, at the earliest stage possible, the lawsuit brought against Scholastic by the estate of Adrian Jacobs.  The Court's swift dismissal supports our position that the case was completely without merit and that comparing Willy the Wizard to the Harry Potter series was absurd.  Judge Scheindlin clearly agreed, stating: “…the contrast between the total concept and feel of the works is so stark that any serious comparison of the two strains credulity.”  Scholastic will continue to vigorously defend any such frivolous claims challenging the originality of Harry Potter and the brilliant imagination of its author, J.K. Rowling.
This ruling follows a request for dismissal petitioned by Bloomsbury last July.  Previously, the estate of Mr. Jacobs charged the publisher and Ms. Rowling with copyright infringement of a 1987 work The Adventures of Willy the Wizard-No 1 Livid Land.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

It wasn’t Jacobs himself? That explains a lot. I couldn’t imagine a respectable writer humiliating himself for something so higly unlikely, just to get money.

Posted by Redbeard on January 07, 2011, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Snapshot_20100206_8__side__thumb

Oh Willy……you know you went doooowwwn! XD Go Rowling.

Posted by SnowKissYuki on January 07, 2011, 05:21 AM report to moderator

excellent. now, hopefully no more idiotic and ridiculous false claims.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on January 07, 2011, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

This is EXCELLENT news!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on January 07, 2011, 06:26 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

This isn’t the UK case against JKR and Bloomsbury, as that is still pending. This is presumably a separate case against Scholastic in the US (though possibly with the same evidence submitted). The BBC has a report at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12134288

Posted by roonwit on January 07, 2011, 06:26 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I’m so glad that common sense has won the day, if you looked at the links to this other book the claims were utterly without merit, the standard of writing was not good, much of it was rather nonsensical and the so called similarities existed in the odd word as far as I could see.

Thanks for that link roonwit, I’m slightly bemused by the judge in the British case who said "that the claims were “improbable,” but he turned down an application by lawyers for Rowling and Bloomsbury for an immediate dismissal of the case." Hmm. well let’s hope the US case sets a precedent and the case will get dismissed without giving Jo any more grief, wasting taxpayers money and additional court time on such a ridiculous claim.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on January 07, 2011, 07:15 AM report to moderator

I am a big Harry Potter fan and went to look at Willy the Wizard book site to see what it was like.

On the site there is an extract that talks about Willy touching a dagger to transport him else where so I can see where the estate were coming from.

But that does not mean that I can not enjoy both books and I am buying a copy of Willy the Wizard as it looks like a good story and fun illustrations.

Posted by donna2011 on January 07, 2011, 08:30 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Poor JKR, everyone wants a piece of her success. Thank goodness the courts had common sense.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on January 07, 2011, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

moglet: The UK judge decided that there a few things that could reasonably be tested in court, for example there were some apparent inaccuracies in Christopher Little’s evidence. Hence I think his ruling was that there was a small chance of victory if the case proceeded rather than no chance at all.

Posted by roonwit on January 07, 2011, 08:53 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

GREAT News! May this be the end of these ridiculous suits!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on January 07, 2011, 08:59 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

Glad this got thrown out early, what a silly claim it was!

Posted by eccentricalice on January 07, 2011, 09:01 AM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

I could write a book about how J.K. Rowling ended up with the Harry Potter story in which loads has not ever been told. I know that there are those who will not believe me. I know Jo would. I also just know what I know, I know why and how tired I am of having to prove it to anyone really. However I will if I must should it help any further down the line I feel it is most necessary. I conclude the claims of it being a copy of anyone elses published work is a case of inaccurate and inappropriate bollix. I wish to ask Jo to keep a chin up and just.. believe… keep strong.. close your eyes and slowly count your blessings. Got your hat on? Sitting down now are we? Well……. I am….. taking it a step further here is an Open letter to Jo.

“Dear Jo, It was me, I did not think that I will be believed!”

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on January 07, 2011, 10:11 AM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

I do not expect anyone to understand the open letter to Jo. However Jo knows why I would type what I did. Should she read it. That is all that matters.

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on January 07, 2011, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

Yes Jo I know. It need be only sent once. How do I know you even got the first one to being with? Or the copies? hmmm? My apologies. Not being rude whatsoever.

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on January 07, 2011, 10:20 AM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

At last!!It’s great!!

Posted by CDR on January 07, 2011, 11:55 AM report to moderator

He bent down and pulled his wand out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.[br]"Urgh -- troll boogers."