Jason Isaacs Talks Lucius Malfoy's Transformation, Calls Draco Malfoy 'Hero of the Whole Saga'

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 05, 2011, 07:20 PM

The LA Times' Hero Complex blog has published a new interview with actor Jason Isaacs about his work as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter series.

Mr. Isaacs reflects on what it was like to play the villain of the series, and learning more about Lucius' character as the story went on. He says that "nothing has brought me greater joy" than being part of the Harry Potter films and comments on being a mentor for the younger actors.

NC: As a villain, Lucius Malfoy has a very interesting character arc.

JI: Well, he has an arc. I think that sets him apart from an awful lot of the adults who do not have the luxury of playing that. It’s not that we haven’t all had a riot doing it. But the Lucius that you see, shambling along, this alcoholic husk of an emasculated man in the “Deathly Hallows” films is so completely different from the strutting peacock of “Chamber of Secrets,” and it’s been enormously good fun to play that journey.
Mr. Isaacs also went on to explain how he viewed the character of Draco Malfoy (played by actor Tom Felton) to be "the hero of the whole saga." He says he felt the need in "Chamber of Secrets," "to explain how Draco turned out to be who he was."
Because in many ways, to me, Draco is the hero of the whole saga. I think Harry has his destiny. There is only one choice Harry can make in every situation. Harry makes the right choice always, and he’s admirable for doing so. But Draco has a bunch of choices, and Draco has to break the bonds of the shackles of his past. He has to break the chain of this kind of abuse and hatred and selfishness and entitlement that his father has been part of, and probably his grandfather and stretching back for generations. And so I saw my job as trying to illustrate how you end up with a kid as messed up as Draco.
The full interview with Mr. Isaacs can be read here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

Jenavieve_one_thumb

first comment ! idk if this is true or not….hmm

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on July 05, 2011, 07:41 PM report to moderator

Pretty questionable comments re: Draco.

The books didn’t show Draco “breaking the chain of abuse, hatred and selfishness”.

No, he wasn’t totally evil.. just very weak.. and certainly not a hero of any kind.

Posted by j@m on July 05, 2011, 08:02 PM report to moderator

Wow! really in-depth interview. i’ve always liked him as an actor and person and it’s great to get his views on his character and the production. very interesting! i especially liked that bit about the trio having been right for the films and his and dan’s improv scene!! and it’s very interesting to know that he created Lucius Malfoy’s look!

Posted by Katrina_HJP on July 05, 2011, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

Jason speaks and I listen…and melt. ;)

Posted by DeliaDee on July 05, 2011, 08:27 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I like Jason Issacs but I must heartily disagree with his opinion of Draco :P. Though I will have to send this article to my Best friend, she adores Draco and is convinced that he became an Auror and close friends with Harry and Ron….such a silly girl :P

Posted by joeys_mommy on July 05, 2011, 08:33 PM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Not sure if Draco is the hero. Just a secondary hero.

Posted by Tanderule on July 05, 2011, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I’ve never thought of Draco that way before. Very interesting.

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on July 05, 2011, 09:01 PM report to moderator

I don’t consider Draco a hero in any respect. He is an antagonist who sets out to try and influence others into his way of thinking. Only after the fall of Voldemort does Draco show anything resembling a realisation that his father was leading him along the wrong path. I believe the best description for Draco Malfoy would be “reformed villain”.

Posted by KiwiBrian on July 05, 2011, 10:08 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

A fantastic interveiw! I really enjoyed hearing Jason’s thought on Draco, very true what he said. Draco is a hero in his own way, and he’s been through a lot.

Posted by LunaLuver on July 05, 2011, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

More of a zero than a hero…

Posted by Won_Two on July 05, 2011, 10:59 PM report to moderator
455145-10_thumb

At first I read the quote as “I think Harry IS his destiny” and then I had one wild, amazing millisecond of thinking that Jason Isaacs shipped Harry/Draco.

It was a nice moment.

That said, I’m not sure I’d call Draco the hero – and I think Harry certainly had difficulty making the right choices some of the time – but not identifying Harry at Malfoy Manor was incredibly ballsy and rivaled the actions of the Trio at their best moments. He could easily have given Harry up, restored his family’s status and ensured Voldemort’s takeover, but he didn’t. So while in general Draco is kind of a failed villain (cowardly, halfhearted, etc) he did show those wonderful tiny moments of trying to break away from the way he was raised.

Posted by tonights on July 05, 2011, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Not sure if Draco is the hero.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 06, 2011, 05:34 AM report to moderator

Sure Draco hasn’t always made the best choices and comes off as a snotty stuck up kid who definitely doesn’t deserve to be called a hero, but as the series went on and came to a close, part of me felt Draco deserved a lot of recognition for his character development. Sure in HBP and DH he’s a little weak cry baby, but it’s because he was stepping out of his comfort zone and instead of continuing with the “abuse and hatred and selfishness” that his family has been known for participating in he tried doing the right thing for once or at least thought about doing the right thing, which scared the poor boy. The last couple of books really made me gain some sort of respect for Draco because he thought for himself for once

Posted by WeasleyCat on July 06, 2011, 06:20 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I agree a bit with WeasleyCat, Draco did try to do the right thing and tried to change which is admirable when he’s background is considered. that said, I am not sure that he is the hero because Harry is a very unique Hero who could have taken all the wrong choices considering how he grew up, yet no matter how hard it was he chose the right way.

Posted by mencia on July 06, 2011, 08:07 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix-lestrange-bellatrix-lestrange-7099104-1024-768_thumb

it depends on the way you see it. draco has his weakness as any other people. he’s divided from being like his family, or doing the right choices. i don’t think he is a hero, but i do respect him as a person who grew up during the years and the books. and i’m proud of him to realize he didn’t need to be that way, i’m just sad he didn’t decide to be stronger before.

Posted by Affel on July 06, 2011, 10:12 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"A couple of -- what's this codswollop?"[br]"De -- men -- tors," said Harry slowly and clearly. "Two of them."[br]"And what the ruddy hell are dementors?"[br]"They guard the wizard prison, Azkaban," said Aunt Petunia.