10 Year Anniversary of "Chamber of Secrets" Movie Release

Movies
Posted by: Mel
November 15, 2012, 08:56 PM

On November 15th, 2002, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" was released in theatres across the US and UK. The "Chamber of Secrets" film came nearly a year to the day after "Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone" was released in 2001. "Chamber of Secrets" introduced us to Mr. Weasley (Mark Williams), Gilderoy Lockhart (Kenneth Branagh), and Lucius Malfoy (Jason Isaacs), and remains the longest of the Harry Potter films with a runtime of 161 minutes.

Watch the trailer for "Chamber of Secrets" and try to remember what your feelings were the first time you saw the film. Did you see it on opening day? Did you think it lived up to the book? Did you think you'd still love Harry Potter ten years later?

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

I didn’t see the film on opening day, but I did see it soon after. It was the first Harry Potter film I saw in theatres, and even today it still holds a special place in my heart. In fact, I went to see it twice!

Posted by MS on November 15, 2012, 09:16 PM report to moderator

I saw it at the movies twice too! i think I saw it a couple of weeks after it was released and I thought it was brilliant. Wow 10 years ago…

Posted by Louise84 on November 15, 2012, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

Wow, ten years! I remember seeing CoS like it was yesterday. :) My sister took me, along with my niece and nephew, we had such a great time! I instantly feel in love with Lucius, lol, kept trying to mimick the way he talked. ;) this movie also intoduced us to Dobby. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on November 15, 2012, 11:41 PM report to moderator
May12003_thumb

yes i remember seeing it in theaters and remember the chills that ran down my spine when I first saw jason issacs as luciusous malfoy

Posted by potterball on November 16, 2012, 01:44 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

If I remember correctly this was actually the first Harry Potter film I’ve seen… 10 minutes into it and I couldn’t stand the suspense any more: I wanted to see what the fuss was about with “that boy”, so I abstained from seeing the films before reading all the books with devoted attention ;))
Now, I’m hopelessly connected to him :)

Posted by devilskinn on November 16, 2012, 01:55 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I have never seen any of the films on opening day, I don’t like crowds. I think I saw CoS twice at the cinema and I thoroughly enjoyed Kenneth Branagh’s portrayal of Gilderoy Lockhart, the character we love to despise for his vanity and false claims. Jason Isaacs was wonderfully unpleasant with his twisted ideas about pure blood purity, swaggering about in his elegant clothes and snake-headed cane. I much preferred the costumes used in the first two films, particularly with regard to the school uniforms. Hogwarts was a school with a very long history whose pupils belonged to families with a secret to hide and a view of the world very different from the rest of the modern population.

Posted by Graymayne on November 16, 2012, 02:02 AM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

WOO! Happy Anniversary Chamber of Secrets!

Posted by Acciobrooms on November 16, 2012, 11:32 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

Damn, that’s a good trailer, if I didn’t know anything about Harry Potter, I’d definitely see this.

Posted by Acciobrooms on November 16, 2012, 11:34 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

My, my the time do fly! Definitely the film that is closest to canon, and still my favorite of them all. Dumbledore is sublime as played by Richard Harris…

Posted by Won_Two on November 17, 2012, 11:31 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I remebered it was the 15th! Thank you so much for doing this Leaky, I was 14 at the time.

This trailer takes me back, I watched it on repeat on the WB HP website on their news page, The Daily Prophet! Our internet was so terrible all I saw were fuzzy still images and buffering percentages. I was so excited to go back to Hogwarts again! I saw it the Sunday of opening weekend and loved every minute of it. I still remember collecting every news paper clipping, magazine and I think (if memory serves) around about this time I stopped fancying Tom Felton and felt attracted to both Dan and Rupert! I also loved the Ron and Hermione hand shake at the end! I knew what was coming!

I loved COS, it was just like what I loved about PS but bigger, scarier, longer and more fun!

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 18, 2012, 04:29 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

… God I just read that back… I SOUND like I’m 14 years old again! Well, only Harry can bring you right back :)

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 18, 2012, 04:32 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

My daughter’s absolute favorite movie!!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on November 19, 2012, 12:50 PM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

I wasn’t a fan the time lol. I didn’t became a fan until the 3rd movie came out, read the full story how I became a HP fan on my page :)

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on November 21, 2012, 09:23 AM report to moderator
Beckett_thumb

i remember seeing this in first grade! i was so scared at the chamber parts, but it was the first hp movie i have seen in theatres, and thankfully not the last!!!!!
who would have guessed it? 10 years on……wow i feel so OLD!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on November 21, 2012, 06:32 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Really, what has got into you all today?" said Professor McGonagall, turning back into herself with a faint [i]pop[/i], staring around at them all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."