J. K. Rowling Is No Longer a Billionaire

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
March 10, 2012, 06:51 PM

J. K. Rowling isn't a billionaire any longer due to the fact that she has given a reported $160 million to various charities and, of course, to her taxes:

The billionaires club has hit J.K. Rowling with a banishing spell. According to the newly updated Forbes Rich List, the Harry Potter author has gone from billionaire to millionaire (several hundred times over, of course). She apparently broke a few rules of how to stay rich by giving away a lot of her fortune — reportedly $160 million of it — to charity and by paying her top-rung British taxes.
There’s no way that the socially minded Rowling, who once lived on welfare, gives two Quaffles about her standing on the list, and no one should shed a tear over a stratospherically rich woman becoming slightly less so. But I always liked knowing that an author of imaginative, timeless, honest-to-goodness books became a billionaire.
You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Aww! Congrats J.K. Rowling, not for losing $160 million, but by being such a great person and not caring about how much money you have! You are such a giving person for that and I think I speak for all Harry Potter fans when I say we greatly appreciate your generosity. :) Keep being awesome!
Posted by katelyner123 on March 10, 2012, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

I think this headline is a bit artificial, because I doubt Jo was ever a dollar billionaire, they are just using a better estimate of her wealth this time around.

Posted by roonwit on March 10, 2012, 07:39 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

Well at least she did something with good with it and gave it to charity, still she has enough money to last her a lifetime.

Posted by Acciobrooms on March 10, 2012, 07:52 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

Good for you Jo! Your generosity inspires all of us.

Posted by Rowling Stones on March 10, 2012, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

@roonwit: Jo was an actual billionair, so this artical is true. Everyone’s known she’s been a billionair for ages now.

Lol, I loved that, “gives two Quaffles”ah, you gotta love Harry Potter humor. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on March 10, 2012, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

I think that it’s good she gave it to charity unlike other billionaires who just spend it on things for them.

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on March 10, 2012, 10:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

But I’m not being stereotypical.

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on March 10, 2012, 10:53 PM report to moderator

That is not money lost. I think it’s shameful to see this and say that Jo “lost” money. She didn’t lose anything, she simply acted as a true honest human being who cares for others. I am proud to call her my idol. I will forever look up to her and the world is a better place thanks to Jo and her enormous imagination, and even bigger heart.

Posted by pottermate on March 10, 2012, 11:07 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I’ve no idea on what these Forbes List people base their information, but if it’s true, good for her.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 11, 2012, 03:18 AM report to moderator
Beckett_thumb

She can easily get back up to the billions, just by selling her book alone she will get millions but I don’t care. I will love her all the same

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on March 11, 2012, 04:53 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

Aw she’s such a great person! When you’ve got a million pounds money’s worthless right? So it’s real nice of her to give it to those who need it most. XD

Posted by Grindylow_101 on March 11, 2012, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

This makes me happy more than sad to be honest. It just proves Jo has a heart of pure gold like her characters and that’s worth more than any penny she earns

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 11, 2012, 05:36 AM report to moderator
Imagesca497oi3_thumb

Shell be back to the billionaires club at the end of the year with the new book and everything, and it’s a certainty shell be offered a film deal off it, if she accepts that is she’s not out for the money she just loves her books, well done to her.

Posted by PotterUk on March 11, 2012, 06:04 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

If a few more wealthy people (not to mention companies) in the UK followed her example, paid their taxes willingly and gave to good causes, this country would be in a much better state.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 11, 2012, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Hear, hear, V-J, I totally agree with you. Jo is a great example of how to use your great wealth to benefit others and also to pay your taxes instead of becoming a tax exile as some of the hugely rich people do. She has a social conscience, and remains firmly rooted in the reality of life. I admire her greatly.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 11, 2012, 07:09 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ron, You-Know-Who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they killed... The terror it inspired... you have no idea, you're too young. Just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house, and knowing what you're