J. K. Rowling Says No Harry Potter Prequel

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
March 09, 2013, 01:33 AM

J. K. Rowling appeared at the Bath Literature Festival yesterday and announced that she has no plans to write a Harry Potter prequel. Specifically, she had no plans to write a story concerning the Marauders:

Rowling, speaking at the Independent Bath Literature Festival last night, said she was not planning to return to the story of the "Marauders" – who attended her fictional Hogwarts School of Witchcraft before Harry Potter – because she didn't think much of prequels. "I'm never going to say never but I have no current plans. I think prequels are not generally very successful," she said.

Via Hypable (which can be read in full here), Rowling also mentioned:
Grindelwald never loved Dumbledore and used him.
Her next book will be aimed at 8-year-olds, but she’s still busy writing it.

You can read more about Rowling's appearance the Festival here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

all the best to her!

Posted by budgie on March 10, 2013, 08:57 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

As a mother to an almost 8 year old, I am really excited! Also, grateful knowing that my daughter who has had the first 4 books read to her, still has the HP books to read for herself and get ‘lost’ in this wonderfully, magic world.

@Won – I would probably enjoy a book about the squid, too! :-D

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on March 11, 2013, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

A lot of great authors have come out with prequels and sequels after the fact. I don’t see why JKR should be an exception, especially with her fanbase. I am with Rabbit; I am a tad bit upset. :(

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on March 12, 2013, 07:14 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Too bad. More background on the Marauders would have been awesome. Perhaps we’ll learn more about them if she ever publishes the HP “encyclopedia” that she has mentioned.

Posted by AvanelleWood on March 13, 2013, 11:52 AM report to moderator

I would like to know whether she is writing another hp book I feel so left in the dark.

Posted by RoseSun on March 21, 2013, 09:31 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I like that she says “I’m never going to say never” bc I hope she’ll consider a sequel to HP in the form of their children. HP’s youngest son was so adorable. Star Wars had a pretty nice prequel but I’m not really too keen on prequels bc you know a lot of the result.

Posted by molly43 on April 07, 2013, 11:56 PM report to moderator

"The dementors have left Azkaban," said Malfoy quietly. "Dad and the others'll be out in no time..."[br]"Yeah, I expect they will," said Harry. "Still, at least everyone knows what scumbags they are now --"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014